The EMNS Lab is part of the Chemistry and Materials Science Department of the Brussels School of Engineering (Ecole polytechnique, Université libre de Bruxelles).
It is directed by Profs Kristin BARTIK & Gilles BRUYLANTS.
The EMNS laboratory has extensive know-how in the experimental study of the structure, stability and dynamics of molecular complexes, and in the synthesis and functionalization of nanoparticles. Key tools: NMR, microcalorimetry and UV-Vis-NIR spectroscopy.
We are currently more focused on:
- the functionalization of metallic nanoparticles with organic or biological ligands in order to develop (bio)sensors
or smart materials,
- the development of micelle-based supramolecular systems for molecular recognition or catalysis in water,
- ion transport across lipid membranes using supramolecular carriers.
- Repositioning Chloride Transmembrane Transporters: Transport of Organic Ion Pairs, Grauwels G. et al., Angewandte Chemie International, 2019.
- Achieving Selective Targeting Using Engineered Nanomaterials, Lanfranco R. et al., inThermodynamics and Biophysics of Biomedical Nanosystems, Spinger, 2019.
- Kinetics of Nanoparticle-Membrane Adhesion Mediated by Multivalent Interactions, Lanfranco R. et al., Langmuir, 2019, 35(6).
- Fluorinated Bambusurils as Highly Effective and Selective Transmembrane Cl−/HCO3− Antiporters, Valkenier H. et al., Chem, 2019, 5(2).
- Submerging a Biomimetic Metallo‐Receptor in Water for Molecular Recognition: Micellar Incorporation or Water Solubilization? A Case Study, Collin S. et al., Chem. Eur. J., 2018, 24.
- Congratulation to Simon LAMBERT and Nathan RENIER who have been awarded a FRIA fellowship ! (06.12.2018)
- William DENIS received the ACS Poster Prize at the 11th International Vanadium symposium in Montevideo (Uruguay) (5-8.11.2018).
- Dr Hennie VALKENIER obtained a permanent position (Research Associate) from the FRS-FNRS and has been awarded an ERC Starting Grant (27.07.2018)
- Maurice RETOUT received the Best Poster Award at GOLD 2018 Conference, Paris (18.07.2018)
Keywords: Nanoparticle synthesis and functionalization, Micellar encapsulation, Colloidal systems, Molecular recognition, Supramolecular chemistry, NMR, Microcalorimetry, UV-Vis-NIR spectroscopy